Founded in 2009, the Institute of Families for Child & Youth Mental Health is a central coordinating organization that acts as the catalyst to facilitate the connections of families to health care providers, policy makers, educators, researchers, service providers and business across Canada. IF is the national organization dedicated to linking families and systems to improve child and youth mental health in Canada.
IF’s activities include:
- Building membership. IF is focused on attracting members, particularly families who will enjoy the benefits of being part of a powerful movement that mobilizes families, giving them a strong voice in issues related to child and youth mental health. Join IF today.
- Developing Provincial Family Councils for Child & Youth Mental Health. IF led the establishing of the BC Provincial Family Council, which will serve as a model for other Provincial Family Councils across the country. Find out more about the Provincial Family Councils.
- Leading National Child & Youth Mental Health Day. IF leads this national initiative, held on May 7 each year to create awareness and acknowledgement of the thousands of children, youth and families needing mental health support and care across Canada. National Child & Youth Mental Health Day is supported by a Green Ribbon Campaign and features events across the country.
- Creating “Family Smart™” criteria. IF is developing criteria, determined by families, to identify best practices in programs, services, research, policies and practices for child and youth mental health. Find out more about Family Smart™.
- Developing online resources. The IF website engages and informs families, and provides researchers, policy makers, health care providers and other stakeholders with access to what matters to families.
- Creating a Library Hub. This virtual reference library will provides stakeholders with access to expertise and information on leading practices, research, policies and programs that are defined as ‘Family Smart™’.
Find out about donation and sponsorship opportunities.